Saturday 1 December 2012

Pin It

Widgets

10 RAPPERS WHO WILL OWN 2013


I  had a long conversation with MI Abaga about a month ago in his Lagos studio. He was scolding EFA for being too laid back and I was very happy about that. I’d complained too many times so from time to time, I’d drive him to a successful artiste to have them tell him the story of their lives. Cos after being with you for a few months, see finish usually sets in and these artistes start acting like they brand new.
Anyway, on this occasion, MI was really feeling generous and read out an actual list of 15 rappers who are sure to possess the next twelve months. Of course, knowing MI the way I do, he left EFA’s name out of the list. I knew what we were working towards so I wasn’t worried. However, EFA protested violently and must have thought MI was just being unfair. So I made him draw up a list of 15 rappers that have something going for them and put it on a board in his room so he can see it every morning when he wakes up.
Just this evening, listening to Phyno’s Ghostmode, I thought why don’t I draw up a list I can throw EFA into. Yeah I can do that. Just because. But then, we will back whatever we say up. What Top 10 list isn’t biased anyway? What matters at the end of the day is the name of the writer of the article. If you have never met me, I am THE Bayo Omisore.

So without much ado, here’s my list of ten rappers that will own 2013.
Olamide.
This, in my opinion, and my opinion is highly rated in these parts if I must say so myself, is the most decent Yoruba-spitting rapper out there. If, as they say, AY was the first rapper to have a popular song rapping in Yoruba, then Lord Of Ajasa made it an option and Dagrin made it cool for thousands of kids to rap in Yoruba, Olamide will take it to the level of millions of records sold and endorsements in multiples of thousands of dollars. If he keeps a cool head and surrounds himself with the right set of people.
EFA.
So what EFA is signed to my label?! Did I sign him because I like his eyeballs? Or because I want to make some money off him. When he first came to the label, he had this raw sound about him. But at the same time, he had also recorded some pop songs back in Ibadan with DJ Klem. All he needed was an understanding of the music business to get his mind in the right place. Three years later, we have put out the critically acclaimed The Waka EP, E2DFA, Over You with Praiz and Open & Close with Dammy Krane. Come 2013, we make our move. Checkmate!
Phyno.
Before Phyno, the Ibo Boy movement was peopled by 2Shotz, Nig.g.a Raw (now formally referred to as Mr. Raw Nwanne) and Ill Bliss. Artistes like MC Loph (RIP), Ruggedman and Naeto C flirted with the idea for a minute while Killz took a bite out of the big apple getting apprehended by Ill Bliss in the process. But none of these guys made me want to learn the Igbo language until Phyno. Interestingly, the first time I really paid any attention to him was on Ill Bliss’ Anam Achikwanu where he handled the hook. On Ghostmost with Olamide, he was imperious attacking the verses with voracity. Come to think of it, how many rappers have a buzz off of all this hardness?
Reminisce.
Whether he agrees or not, Ajasa and especially Dagrin had a big influence on Reminisce’s later career and his eventual sound. Reminisce’s introductory single Ever Since which featured his friend 9ice and was produced by his long-time collaborator Sarz was first released circa 2009. The song was practically done entirely in the English language with a smattering of Yoruba words and phrases sprinkled here and there. His 2011 breakthrough hit single Kako Bi Chicken revealed the rapper Reminisce was to become. And judging from his past and his present, we can already tell that his future is secure.
Phenom.
Earlier in the year, MI put out 6 Foot 7 Foot off his about to drop mixtape Illegal Music 2. It featured a relatively unknown Phenom and I daresay it must have been the highlight of the young rapper’s life. At least at that time. Phenom went on to release his Omo Naija single, shoot a Clarence Peters video for it, assemble some of the best young emcees in the business to jump on the remix and shoot a video for that as well. He also put out his first official single Shuku Shuku Bam Bam with Iye. Now if there’s anything I know about his record label Knighthouse, it’s that they will leave no stones unturned to make sure that the kid competes at the very top. I assure you, if you liked Mocheddah, you’ll love Phenom.
Eva.
At the time this list was compiled, Eva had managed to get herself a deal with Trybe Records. Sadly, by the time I dragged myself to write this piece, she had also managed to get herself kicked off the label. No matter though. History has shown that if you can hustle by yourself to get to the point where you appear on MI’s debut album Talk About It, P-Square’s album Invasion, Bez’s Supersun and D’Prince’s Frenzy leading to several labels courting you, maybe you don’t need eLDee after all. Just maybe you can grab this industry by its man-balls and squeeze hard. Over to you Ms. Alordiah. Let’s see what you got!
IBK.
If you don’t know IBK, I’m very happy to introduce him to you. We did a course together at the Pan-African University in 2009 and I used to always wonder about him. He seemed, erm, not just ok! Anyway, he it was who won the NotJustOk and Don Jazzy Enigma competition last year. (Which reminds me. Ol’ boy, you no sort me o!) So since he won that competition, he has produced the music for the BET Naija Cypher, made a really delicious song called Here To Stay for ex-beauty queen Munachii (I don’t know why that song wasn’t promoted. Goshdarnit!!!) IBK is a quadruple threat: the guy can rap, sing (he backs up Bez), produce and write. Naija does indeed have talent!
Munachii.
A lot of people only know this former MBGN from the Nokia debacle from earlier in the year. Before that, she was doing quite well having appeared on Banky’s sophomore album The W Experience and P-Square’s Invasion. She had also appeared in videos by P-Square (Ifunaya) and Banky (Follow You Go) fueling speculations of amorous relationships. She went on to feature on Waje’s So Inspired single graduating from her more hardcore background (she used to roll with Specimen A back in the day. Where my PH peoples at?) And while the phrase ‘pass the mic’ may mean different things these days, chances are that won’t be Munachii’s last bit of influence on pop culture.
Falz/ Ajebutter.
While there isn’t much to separate these two in terms of style and sound, and a lil’ birdie even suggests that Ajebutter is an aburo to Falz back in London and may have, erm, borrowed his style, both artistes are not doing so bad for debutantes. Interesting as they sound, of course, they’re nowhere close to guys like Seriki and the aforementioned Olamide and Reminisce who can have the ‘streets’ wrapped around their little fingers if they play their cards right. The London boys, on the other hand, have us, the urban crowd, the razz-is-the-new-cool crowd in their pockets. Boys, watch out for pickpockets!
Pryse/ Tesh Carter.
Another set of female Port Harcourt representers, there was no way I could close this list without these two females. First off, they are signed to Chocolate City and Capital Hill respectively. (At least I hope they’re signed. I know a thing or two about ‘signed’ female artistes who don’t sign!) Must be something they bathe women with in them PH waters. I guess if these girls drop the drama women are known for, there’s no telling how far they can get. (Bite me feminists. I know about women. I’ve worked with several professionally.) Keep your eyes on the Pryse.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Speak up your mind
Tell us what you're thinking... !

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below...

Get This SpiceUpBlogging

IP