Tuesday 11 December 2012

Pin It

Widgets

THE BEST NIGERIAN ALBUM ART WE’VE FOUND IS MADE BY THIS GUY!


Nduka ‘Duks’ Abii is gifted. Extremely so. The 22 year has been drawing for 18 years. He has attended Ringling College of Art and Design and currently studies at at Columbus College of Art and Design. Proficient in the art of animation, motion design, graphic design, traditional painting and concept art, he has  a surreal art style that ranges from extraordinarily dark to angelic. He’s established Duks Arts, bringing his two brothers on board with hopes of becoming a media giant in Africa and an example to aspiring artists.
Miabaga.com talked with him the importance of art and asked him about 6 of the cover designs we really really like. In an industry not known for excellent artwork and album art, it’s refreshing to come across people who take it seriously, and understand how music and color go together.
Does it really matter, what an artist puts on their album cover? Most times, it does. I’m a firm believer that the art a cereal box should tell me exactly how the roasted grains should taste. It goes the same way for album art. I analyze the soul of the artiste and paint what I see, whether it be good or evil.
What’s been the worst album you’ve listened to?Can’t remember. I’m sure Vic O has raised the bar high enough in that category. Big ups to dude though.
What’s the first thing you do after buying a new CD? I look at art on the the booklet. Call it ‘research’.
More people should….More aspiring visual artists should draw more and TRY to invest in art school. More listeners should learn to diversify their ears. I dare a nigga to buy a Rock/Metal album and listen through. I promise you’ll have one track on repeat. People fear what they don’t understand; There’s beauty in everything. Lastly, most people should learn to appreciate real art when they see it. It doesn’t matter though. I will make them appreciate it by fire, by force.
What are the most important things an artiste should know about album art? Good presentation is always a wonderful thing. Dope album art is always a great compliment and it enhances the overall feel of your music. It is the missing piece. Great music and great art are always a great combo.

“I WANT TO MAKE THINGS WORK, NOT JUST MAKE THINGS LOOK PRETTY.”- DUKS

We rooted around your website, great stuff there man, and picked some of the album art we really liked. What determined the the direction and design you chose for each one?
Robo a.k.a Chase is a young ambitious ‘sound bender’. He is the most versatile producer I know, so it was not surprising when he requested that I create a cover for his beat-tape, ‘Versatility’. I loved the concept and decided to go in on this one. I splattered colors on my digital canvas and stroked it aimlessly with acrylics, inks, and oils until the final concept hit me. How’s that for versatility?
Muna is my cousin and we spend lots of time together, so it’s not hard to paint a picture she would like. ‘Tha Goddess, Tha Hustler’ represents her Cleopatra-esque side, and the ‘Go-getter’ side, the alter ego, respectively. This is one of my favorites.
Spottie. The self titled rap general. Based on that alone, the concept is already realized: army colors, fierce lighting and a pose that oozes authority. Spottie loved it. Cool guy.
Mykey is an American rapper with a smooth style. ‘You and I’ depicts heartbreak. In order for me to visualize that, i had to listen to his mixtape first, so that I could hear the color of his tone. Then the emotional cover art emerged: Two interlocking rings, but one is cheating. Hmm.
The beat. The beat is evil. Despite how dark I like to make my art look, the instrumental wreaks of the color red and black. Nothing else! Mike Jackson it the title of the track, so, I did up a vector-like design of Michael Jackson himself looking super badass; with Ozzy B’s head draped down as his jacket.  This is a terrific example of what cover art does to your eyes before you hear the music. It tells you exactly what you’re about to hear. Ozzy B and the L.O.S. Crew are like family to me. Real cool guys. Oh and keep an eye on L.O.S. They have a MASSIVE mixtape coming out soon.
His name says it all. Chamillionaire is a no-nonsense, Houston, Texan millionaire. He is the only rapper I know who can switch up his flow seamlessly and sound like anything inside and outside the rap bible. Koopa can sing his way into your girlfriend’s chambers and still sound like Kratos in the booth. I simply did a tribute piece for him and being as down to earth as he is, he hit me back in my email and asked if he could use the art for his upcoming album. Realest rapper I know. Chamillionare’s POISON album is on the way.
We highly recommend you check out the DUKS ART Website. CLICK HERE
Find him on Twitter @dukavinci

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Speak up your mind
Tell us what you're thinking... !

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below...

Get This SpiceUpBlogging

IP